Night of Lucid Dream Brew Day

I’ve attempted a black IPA in the past, but I didn’t like the results. I found that using roasted malts to a degree that would turn the wort black caused too much astringency.

In my latest attempt, I replaced all the black malts with 240L Candi Syrup as the only color agent involved.

Recipe

Information

Method Style Boil Size Batch Size Efficiency
All Grain Black Juicebier 3 gal 2.5 gal 70% Target

Stats

OG FG ABV (alternate) IBU (tinseth) SRM
19.2º P 6.7º P 7.5% ABV HOPPY 36

Target Water profile:

Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl SO4-2
100+ 5 10 200 50

My typical 200:50 juicebier profile

DI Water additions

Calcium Chloride 6.2g
Epsom 0.7g
Gypsum 1.0g
Sea Salt 0.4g

Estimated mash pH: 5.3

Fermentables

3.5 lbs Crisp Maris Otter
1 lbs Flaked Oats
1 lbs Golden Naked Oats
1 lbs Candi Syrup D-240
0.5 lbs Lactose
100 g DME Pilsen (starter)

Plus a healthy amount of rice hulls.

Hop Schedule

1 oz Citra (13.8% AA) Whirlpool 20 min 185ºF
1 oz Citra (13.8% AA) Dry Hop 4 days
1 oz Citra (13.8% AA) Dry Hop 4 days
1 oz Citra (13.8% AA) Dry Hop 2 days
1 oz Citra (13.8% AA) Dry Hop 2 days

I wanted to do something simple on this. Single hop Citra sounded very tasty. And the idea is to fool some people. Looking at a dark beer but getting only aromas and flavors of a juice bomb.

Yeast

WLP095 Burlington Ale… Recently being very busy, I didn’t have time to make a starter, so I cooked one up right before brewing.

Brew day

I milled out my grains in the morning, making sure to crush the Golden Naked Oats into a flour, and then the rest of the barley.

IMG_2899

I cooked up a quick starter and cooled it down before pitching yeast and setting on the stir plate.

6 hours should be enough to wake it up.

I heated my strike water to about 170, and then transferred it into the mash tun.

IMG_2909IMG_2911

I poured in the grains, gave them a good stir, and sealed the lid up.

IMG_2912

I checked the mash temp about 4 times in a 75 minute mash, and throughout the entire mash the thermometer read 152ºF.

IMG_2913

After the mash, trouble struck. I cracked the valve on the mash tun… nothing. I cranked open the valve to see if anything would come out… nothing. Great.

Plan B, I lined my GigaWort with a large nylon bag, and poured the entire mash in.

IMG_2914

I began my sparge, and collected 3 gallons of wort before adding my Candi syrup adjunct.

IMG_2916

The Candi Syrup produced a brown wort rather than the black color I wanted.

IMG_2918IMG_2919IMG_2920

I did a 60 minute hopless boil, and then let the wort naturally drop temperature to 185ºF before tossing in 4oz of Citra hops.

While whirl pooling I checked on my starter, and it was showing some good activity.

IMG_2917

After a 20 minute whirlpool, I transferred the wort into a kettle lined with a mesh bag.

IMG_2924

I cooled the wort down to 70ºF

IMG_2925

Then transferred it to the fermenter along with my yeast starter.

IMG_2926

A final gravity reading showed terrible efficiencies on the day. I only made it to 17.2ºP, (shooting for 19.2) which BrewersFriend calculates at 59% Brew House. I’m not too concerned if this beer isn’t as boozy as what was calculated.

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong with this, but I’m definitely going back to bag squeezing for the foreseeable future. The upside to bag squeezing is that I use less water, less minerals, and have a significantly higher efficiency than this 3 vessel fly sparge method.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s