Olliequadz is back. This was one of the first beers I wanted to brew when I set out brewing on my own. Similar to my favorite beer, Chimay Blue, I wanted to brew a Belgian Quad that I could bottle condition and cellar for a long time. I did just that, and I am still sitting on a bottle of OllieQuadz from 2016, 692 days later according to my Brewer’s Friend record.
OllieQuadz in 2016 was the first beer that I made that I considered a big step forward. I thought it was appropriate to attempt another step forward with this beer on my new fly sparge and mash tun system.
There’s some odd numbers at play here, I had to make adjustments as I used too much water in the process.
|Method||Style||Boil Size||Batch Size||Efficiency|
|All Grain||Belgian Quadrupel||3.5 gal||2.75 gal||70% Target|
|OG||FG||ABV (alternate)||IBU (tinseth)||SRM|
|18.9º P||3.0º P||9.64% ABV||30||20|
Target Water profile: Chimay (boiled)
Once again, I’m using the Chimay water profile.
DI Water additions
Estimated mash pH: 5.34
|5.75 lbs||Château Pilsner|
|0.50 lb||Flaked Wheat|
|0.50 lb||Weyermann Munich Type 2|
|1.0 lb||Belgian Candi Syrup D-90|
|100 g||DME Pilsen (starter)|
|1 oz||Hallertau Mittelfruh (4% AA)||First Wort||30 IBU|
WLP500 – Monastery Ale (Chimay). I pitched 1 fresh tube into slightly more than 1 liter of wort, about 1100mL, 24 hours before brew day.
I sanitized all equipment, and then weighed out my minerals. Those went into the kettle, and were then diluted with 13.5 quarts of DI water… Brewer’s Friend recommended a 2 qt/lb mash for higher gravity beers, so I trusted that along with a default of 0.5 qt/lb absorption rate.
I heated up my strike water to 163ºF in the GigaWort, and then transferred it via gravity into my mash cooler lined with a nylon bag, which is going to act as my false bottom for now.
I doughed in the malt, gave it a good stir, and pressed on the lid. About 10 min later I checked back and nailed the mash temp of 150ºF perfectly.
After the 90 minute mash, I slowly began lautering the wort out of the cooler. I caught two quarts of the first runnings and added that back to the cooler. And then continued lautering. The Brewer’s Friend calculator I used recommended 3 quarts of sparge water according to my profile. So I slowly pulsed in 3 quarts of 170 water over the grain bed.
I stopped the sparging and lautering when I hit 12 quarts of wort in my kettle, but realized I had some more to go in the mash tun. I then drained out the rest of the mash tun and got about 1.75 quarts extra.
I decided to combine both worts in the GigaWort since they had the same gravity readings. This got me up to about 13.75 quarts. I added my D-90 Candi Syrup, and the 1oz of Hallertau hops, and checked what my boil size was: about 3.5 gallons. I also decided I needed to do a 90 minute boil.
After the 90 minute boil, I transferred the wort out and into a nylon bag filter, and began the cool down process.
I now had 10 quarts of wort at 20.8ºP, with my starter of about 1.1 liters still to pitch. Knowing it wasn’t going to fit comfortably in a 3 gallon carboy, I quickly sanitized a 5 gallon glass carboy, as the wort cooled down.
Once the wort was cooled, I combined my starter into the kettle, and grabbed a starting gravity of about 19.5ºP, and poured it all into the carboy.
I’ll let this beer go for 10-14 days in the primary, with plans to bottle and condition for at least 6 months before consumption.
13.5 quarts mash + 3 quarts sparge = 16.5 total
16.5 – 13.75 = 2.75 absorbed.
2.75 / 6.75lbs of grain = 0.4 quarts per pound absorbed.