House Stark Brew Day

For the third and final beer of my Thrones themed beers, I’m brewing a Belgian Stout. The weather has gotten a little colder, which of course means……

Recipe

Information

Method Style Boil Size Batch Size Efficiency
Brew in a Bag Belgian Stout 3 gal 2.5 gal 70% Target

Stats

OG FG ABV (alternate) IBU (tinseth) SRM
19.5º P 3º P 9.64% ABV 30 38

Target Water profile: Chimay (boiled)

Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl SO4-2
30 7 7 21 21

Once again, I’m using the Chimay water profile. 

DI Water additions

Gypsum 0.70g
Sodium Chloride 0.25g
Calcium Chloride 0.50g
Lactic Acid 3.0g
Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl SO4-2
24.3 0 8 31.9 31.8

Estimated mash pH: 5.32

Fermentables

5.5 lbs Château Pilsner
0.50 lb Weyermann CaraMunich 1
0.25 lb Rahr Roasted Barley
1.0 lb Belgian Candi Syrup D-180
100 g DME Pilsen (starter)

Hop Schedule

1 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh (4% AA) First Wort 30 IBU

Yeast

WLP500 – Monastery Ale (Chimay). I pitched 1 fresh tube into a 1 liter starter at about 4:30PM yesterday.

Brew Day

IMG_2613

This morning I awoke to the sights of my yeast starter nice and active.

IMG_2612

I sanitized all my equipment, added my my minerals in the kettle, diluted those minerals with 10 quarts of DI water, and fired up the GigaWort. 

IMG_2614

As strike water heated up to about 154-155, who’s measuring, I opened up my bag of grains. They look and smell great.

IMG_2615

I poured in the grains. I stirred it all up to ensure no dough balls in there, and began the 90 minute timer. 

10 minutes into the mash the temperature is just about where I want it. 

IMG_2616

The mash stayed fairly consistent throughout, but dropped to about 147 at the end. 

The fresh wort was a nice brown color. I poured in 1oz of Hallertau hops before the mash, and then began pouring hot water through the grains. 

I sparged 3 quarts through the grains with extra bag squeezing, and still came up just a bit short of 3 gallons, very slightly more than 11 liters. After pouring in D-180 Candi Syrup, I grabbed a gravity reading of 16ºP, and decided to stick with this volume.

IMG_2619

I fired up the kettle, and waited patiently for the beer to boil.

IMG_2621

The wort boiled for 60 minutes, with no other additions. 

After the boil, I opened the ball valve and filtered the beer through a nylon mash bag.

IMG_2625

IMG_2626

I began the cooling process.

IMG_2627

As it got cool enough, I got a gravity reading of 20.8ºP.

When the beer fully cooled, I poured it into the fermenter, and pitched my 1 liter starter. A final gravity reading said ~19.6ºP, right on target. If WLP500 does its typical job, this beer expects to be about 9.7% ABV.

IMG_2628

I moved the fermenter into the chamber, where it will ferment for about a week. I’m going to ferment this beer a little higher, around 70ºF instead of 68ºF, because I’d like a little more Belgian flavor to come through and play with the roasted barley flavors more. 

IMG_2630

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s