House Targaryen Brew Day

House Targaryen

The second beer in a short series of Thrones themed beers, I’m brewing a Belgian Dark Strong, hopefully more on the red side, with diced habanero peppers added to the boil. Fire and Blood.  

Recipe

Information

Method Style Boil Size Batch Size Efficiency
Brew in a Bag Belgian Golden Strong 3 gal 2.5 gal 70% Target

Stats

OG FG ABV (alternate) IBU (tinseth) SRM
19.5º P 3.0º P 9.65% ABV 30 15.25

Target Water profile: Chimay (boiled)

Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl SO4-2
30 7 7 21 21

Once again, I’m using the Chimay water profile. 

DI Water additions

Gypsum 0.70g
Sodium Chloride 0.25g
Calcium Chloride 0.50g
Lactic Acid 3.0g
Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl SO4-2
24.3 0 8 31.9 31.8

Estimated mash pH: 5.32

Fermentables

5.5 lbs Château Pilsner
0.50 lb Weyermann CaraRed
0.25 lb Weyermann CaraMunich 1
1.0 lb Belgian Candi Syrup D-45
100 g DME Pilsen (starter)

Hop Schedule

1 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh (4% AA) First Wort 30 IBU

Yeast

WLP500 – Monastery Ale (Chimay). I pitched 1 fresh tube into a 1 liter starter about 24 hours before brew day.

Brew Day

IMG_2532

I sanitized all my equipment, added my my minerals to my DI water, and fired up the GigaWort. 

IMG_2533IMG_2534

Today I’m going to dough in slightly higher than I did yesterday, considering this is 6.25 pounds of grain vs. 2.5 pounds. I heated the water up to about 155ºF, poured in the grains, and gave it a really good stir. I added the thermometer back in, closed the lid, and let the temperature inside the kettle climb. 

After about 5 minutes with the lid on, the temperature slid right up to 150ºF. I let these grains mash for a full 90 minutes. 

IMG_2535

When the mash was completed, I pulled the grain bag out and slid my strainer underneath it. I gave the bag a good squeeze first, and then grabbed a gravity reading of my mash conversion. I’m at 15.4ºP.

IMG_2536

Next I tossed in my FWH addition of Hallertau, and then added 1 lb of Candi Syrup.

IMG_2538IMG_2539

I then began sparging the grains with 3 quarts of ambient temperature DI water. I had to sparge half a quart extra, as I only came up with 11 liters of boil volume. I stirred up all 3 gallons of collected wort, and got a preboil gravity reading of 15.7ºP. 

I turned up the kettle to the boil setting, and began the boil. 

IMG_2541

During the boil, I chopped up 3 habaneros. From right to left, the first bowl has 1 pepper flesh with half its seeds. The second bowl has 1 pepper flesh and NO seeds. The third bowl has 1 pepper flesh and all of its seeds. The bowl on top is extra seed scraps from pepper 1 and 2. My plan is to add the first and second bowl after the boil, and see how that tastes. 

IMG_2543

IMG_2542

When the boil was done, I opened up the ball valve and transferred the wort into a kettle lined with a nylon bag. Color:

IMG_2544

I prepared my pepper additions, and I ended up adding all three habaneros to the wort, didn’t really get much heat from that at all. So I’m going to let it steep during fermentation, and hope I get some heat coming through on the final beer. 

IMG_2552

Once the wort cooled, I poured it into the fermenter,

IMG_2553

pitched yeast,

IMG_2554

and placed the fermenter in the fridge, where it will ferment at 67ºF for about a week, with gradual temperature ramping. 

IMG_2555

Starting gravity for this beer: 18.5ºP… not as high as I anticipated, but as long as this beer gets above 9%, I’ll be happy with it.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s