I have a new all in one electric system, the GigaWort from Northern Brewer. So I’m doing an out of the blue quick beer to test out how it handles doing all grain BIAB as the mash tun and boil kettle. I’ve been sitting on a Table Beer recipe I came up with a long time ago, and I figured it would be easiest to brew a tiny session beer for the first GigaWort brew.
|Method||Style||Boil Size||Batch Size||Efficiency|
|Brew in a Bag||Belgian Tafelbier||3 gal||2.5 gal||80% Target|
|7.3º P||2.1º P||2.6% ABV||4.74||25|
Target Water profile: Chimay (boiled)
DI Water additions
|Sodium Chloride||0 g|
|Calcium Chloride||0.70 g|
|Lactic Acid||1.0 g|
Estimated mash pH: 5.28
|2 lbs||Château Pilsner|
|0.25 lbs||Weyermann CaraMunich 1|
|0.25 lbs||Flaked Oats|
|0.5 oz||Hallertau Mittelfrüh (4% AA)||FWH (60 min boil)|
|0.5 oz||Hallertau Mittelfrüh (4% AA)||Boil 5 min|
Fermentis T-58… I am going to rehydrate 1 pack into 1 quart of DI water, and pitch the resultant slurry into the chilled wort.
Taking as much notes as possible so that I’ll be better set for future beers… I cranked up the unit on the 1600 watt feature up to 216ºF, and let it rise…My plan is to mash for maybe, 80 minutes…
As the temperature approached 152ºF on my floating glass thermometer inside the kettle, I poured my grains in. The readout on the outside of the kettle does not accurately measure temperature, typically it measures LOWER than what is actually going on inside the kettle.
The temp immediately dropped to 148 on my glass thermometer when I doughed in. After a few minutes with the lid on, the temperature rose to up about 153, as expected with a heated kettle.
The outside temperature of the kettle reads 144ºF with the unit turned off, while my thermometer is reading 152ºF inside, 1 hour and 10 minutes remain in the mash.
The outside temperature of the kettle reads 135ºF with the unit turned off, while my thermometer is reading 150ºF inside, 35 minutes remain in the mash.
The outside temperature of the kettle reads 133ºF with the unit turned off, while my thermometer is reading 148ºF inside, 15 minutes remain in the mash.
After the mash was over, I squeezed out the bag and grabbed a gravity reading of 7ºP.
I sparged my usual 3 quarts of DI water through the grains with squeezing, this time not having to use a 2nd kettle. I stirred up all the wort and grabbed another gravity reading of 6ºP.
I tossed in 1oz of Hallertau to the fresh wort, and turned up the kettle for boiling.
The boil starter without me evening noticing, and with no boil over.
When the boil was over, I opened the ball valve and transferred the wort into another kettle lined with a nylon bag for ice bath cooling.
I pulled out the nylon bag with all the hop matter, and was left with very clean wort to cool.
When the wort dropped to 70ºF, I poured it into the fermenter…
…pitched the yeast…
and moved the fermenter into the fermentation chamber.
In total, brew day was an hour shorter, 4 in total. Starting gravity on this beer: 7.2ºP, just about where I wanted it. If I get 70% attenuation I’ll be looking at about 2.5% beer.