Keezer build

I’m moving towards kegging, and quickly decided I didn’t want to fuck around with picnic taps. So I thought I’d go all out and convert a chest freezer into a 4 tap keezer. This process took some time, and was a serious labor to do. However, the end result is excellent, and it was 100% worth building.

I found a Magic Chef 6.9 cubic feet chest freezer at Home Depot over Labor Day. It was on sale for $160. Brought it home and gave it some measurements.

IMG_2313

I watched a number of tutorials online and found out it had to have the lid removed, and a wood collar attached to it, so that the lid could be screwed back into the collar. I chose 45º angle cuts on four pieces of 2x4s, and right angle braces with wood screws to attach them together. Here’s the rough blueprints on what I wanted the collar to look like.

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 8.33.06 AM

Back to Home Depot, picked up a 12 foot piece of 2×4 and brought it to a buddy’s house to help me cut it.

IMG_2320IMG_2323IMG_2325

With the angles cut, we set it together to see how it would look. My buddy did a kick ass job of slicing the wood down to the 32nd.

IMG_2326

Right angle brace placed in…

IMG_2327

Next we chose the front facing board, and measured out four 1 inch holes. They were then cut using a 1 inch spayed bit.

IMG_2328IMG_2329

I gave the wood a good sanding so that it would better accept some paint and took it home to see how it fit on the freezer.

IMG_2330

Like a glove.

IMG_2331

Next I needed to add some sealant paint on the wood. I chose white instead of wood stain, just to make it easy. And to make it even easier, I chose a timeless classic, Kilz spray paint.

IMG_2334

I painted all the boards and let them dry for a good 24 hours.

IMG_2332IMG_2333

The next step required another pair of hands, as we had to hold the boards together while adjoining them with the right angle joint.

IMG_2335IMG_2336

The boards fit together nicely, but still left a small gap. I knew this wasn’t going to be a huge issue because I was going to caulk and paint everything again.

I placed the newly formed collar on the freezer one more time to see how it fit… pretty good.

IMG_2337

I then caulked up all my edges and smoothed them out.

IMG_2343IMG_2344

After this it got another round of Kilz paint job.

IMG_2345IMG_2346IMG_2347IMG_2348

While the paint was drying I started assembling my parts, starting with the liquid side. I got some nice Krome passthroughs (as seen below) that had built in barbed nipples and faucet adapters, or whatever they’re called. This was more convenient than buying the passthrough, MFL tail piece, beer washer, and wing nut… and the faucet connector part. Whatever, this was convenient and worked super well. See picture below.

IMG_2353IMG_2354

I easily assembled the faucet to the passthrough, and the tap handle to the faucet. The faucet went on better with the help of a faucet wrench.

Next I assembled my beer line to the black beer connectors via swivel barbs and clamps. The beer line is a real bitch to get onto the barb, so soaking it in some hot water helped cram it onto the barb, where it was then clamped on.

IMG_2355IMG_2356

I put these aside for now to focus on my newly dried collar, and attaching it to the freezer. I used the same Gorilla Glue caulk that I used earlier to seal the collar to the freezer.

IMG_2363

I placed the lid on, adjusted it into place, and then added some full kegs, water jugs, and a full CO2 tank for weight.

IMG_2368

I patiently let this set up for about 24 hours. In the meantime, I gave the outside edges another round of caulking.

IMG_2369IMG_2370

Sloppy paint job, right?

After this had dried, I opened up the keezer again, removed the lid, and added a round of caulk to the inside edges, plus caulked my 6-way manifold onto the lip of the freezer.

IMG_2376

Now it’s time to assemble the keezer with all the parts. The passthroughs go through the 1 inch holes, and the brass nuts were tightened in with a wrench.

IMG_2377

IMG_2378

IMG_2382Then I brought in my CO2 tank and hooked up the regulator to the manifold.

IMG_2381

No pictures, but I added my gas lines to the manifold, clamped them down, and added gray gas connectors on the other ends with swivel barbs and clamps.

I added my liquid lines onto the passthroughs, and hooked those up to swivel barbs and black beer connectors as well.

IMG_2382

Now it’s time to test the system. I filled a keg with star san and water to test for leaks and to sanitize the lines, serving this sanitizer keg with a small amount of CO2 pressure.

IMG_2384IMG_2383IMG_2385

Hooray! It works!

It’s time for the lid to be attached back to the unit, and I screwed it in to the keezer’s collar. It works perfectly.

IMG_2387IMG_2388

Tah-freaking-dah. I hooked it up to my Inkbird temperature controller and set it to cool. Here’s what the final build looks like.

IMG_2389IMG_2390

There are two things that still need to be added, but are minor cosmetic issues.

  1. I need some drip trays for the front. I’ve got some ideas on how to do it, but I’ll explore a bunch of options on how to get the right look and ease of use.
  2. I want some custom tap handles, so that I can slide in and out my own labels.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s