Auspicious Juice Beer Brew Day

I had some extra Australian hops sitting in the fridge, Summer and Galaxy, which sounded like a nice summer juice beer.

For my water profile, I’m going 4:1 on Cl:SO4, here’s my profile. 

Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl SO4-2
115 5 10 200 50

My actual numbers were ±1 to the above profile.

That’s .7g Gypsum, .7g Epsom, .4g Table Salt, and 4.6g CaCl,

And with no acid additions, a mash pH of 5.39. 

The recipe:

Information

Method Style Boil Size Batch Size Efficiency
Brew in a Bag Juice 3 gal 2.5 gal (fermenter) 75% Target

Stats

OG FG ABV (alternate) SRM
14º P 3.2º P 6% ABV 5.79

Fermentables

3 lbs Rahr 2-row
1 lb Golden Naked Oats
1 lb Flaked Oats
100g Pilsen DME (1 liter starter)

Hop Schedule

1 oz Summer (5.8%) Whirlpool for 20 min
1 oz Summer (5.8%) Whirlpool for 15 min
1 oz Summer (5.8%) Whirlpool for 10 min
1 oz Summer (5.8%) Whirlpool for 5 min
1 oz Galaxy (17.9%) Dry Hop for 4 days
1 oz Galaxy (17.9%) Dry Hop for 2 days

Yeast

WLP095 Burlington Ale, built on a 1 liter starter. 

Brew Day

The night before, I made a 1 liter starter with my tube of Burlington, and let it stir for about 24 hours. 

 

On brewday, I measured out my salts and added them to the kettle, then poured in 10 quarts of DI water.

IMG_1785

As the temperature got up to about 150, I attempted to dough in.

IMG_1787

Fuck me right? I swept up the grains and measured how much stuff I lost, which was a little over 5oz. 

IMG_1789

Let’s recalculate from here…I’m going to assume that I lost an even amount of that 5.3oz from each grain, which would make my bill turn out to be…

2.89 lbs Rahr 2-row
0.89 lbs Golden Naked Oats
0.89 lbs Flaked Oats
100g Pilsen DME (1 liter starter)

And the stat line…

OG FG ABV (alternate) SRM
13.2º P 3.0º P 5.5% ABV 5.44

Moving forward, I got most of the malt into the kettle, and had a successful conversion at about 148-149ºF for the entirety of the mash. Post-mash gravity: 11.8ºP

I sparge 3 quarts of DI water, while squeezing the bag for optimal extraction. Pre-boil gravity: 10ºP.

I boiled for 90 minutes with no boil additions, and then took the kettle of the heat and started a whirlpool for 20 minutes.

After the beer was cooled down, I grabbed post-boil gravity reading of 14ºP.

I pitched my 1 liter starter and took 1 last gravity reading of 13.5ºP.  

IMG_1795

I carried the fermenter into my chest freezer where it will ferment at 68ºF. 

IMG_1797


 

The beer finished at ~1.014 SG

IMG_1813

And 8 liters made it into bottles

IMG_1811IMG_1812IMG_1815

The sample was nice, but it’s yet to be judged until it’s carbed and cold.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s