Celebrator Emulator Brew Day

Continuing to do lagers this year, I wanted to brew one of my favorite styles, so I found some clones of one of my favorite beers, Ayinger’s Celebrator, and made a recipe that fits my usual batch size. 

IMG_1607

The tough part for me was figuring out what water to use, and I settled on a really soft profile that I modified from a Munich Dark Lager water profile. 

Here’s the resulting profile, in actual numbers.

Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl SO4-2
11.7 0 6.4 13.8 22.7

Mash pH target: 5.27

Now to the recipe:

Information

Method Style Boil Size Batch Size Efficiency
Brew in a Bag Doppelbock 3 gal 2.5 gal (fermenter) 75% Target

Stats

OG FG ABV (alternate) IBU SRM
15.5º P 2.6º P 7.24% ABV 23 22.38

Fermentables

3 lbs Weyermann Pale Ale
1 lb Weyermann Munich Type 1
1 lb Weyermann Munich Type 2
.25 lb Crisp Chocolate Malt 
100g Pilsen DME (1 liter starter)

Hop Schedule

1 oz Hallertau Mittelfrüh (4%) Boil for 30 min 23.45 IBUs

Yeast

Fermentis Saflager S-23, built on a 1 liter starter, and pitched into wort at 55ºF. 

IMG_1605

Brew Day

The one thing I’m concerned about is the boil vigor in my last brew session. It didn’t boil off nearly enough water and I had about an extra quart in the fermenter. I’m wondering if I need to start doing 90 min boils to hit 9 quarts ending kettle, and pitch my 1 liter starter to get 10 quarts in the fermenter. 

Mashing

IMG_1610

I mashed 5.25 pounds of malt in 10 quarts of water at ~150ºF. Temperature was hit, and the beer mashed for about 75 minutes. 

IMG_1609

After that time I pulled the grain bag and set it over my strainer and second runnings kettle, then stirred up the fresh wort and took a gravity reading of ~12.5ºP.

I sparged 3 quarts of DI water over the grain bed a little bit at a time, continually squeezing the bag to get the wort out, and then mixed all of the second runnings back into the boil kettle and topped it up to exactly 3 gallons. I took a gravity reading which came out to be ~13ºP.

IMG_1612

Boiling

The boil started well, and took off with more vigor than the previous batch I made.

IMG_1613

But as the foam and stuff started to subside, it went back to a weak boil…. 

Looking at how much wort I had left, (and the fact that I forgot to add the hops at 30 min left), I tacked on another 30 minutes on the boil and tossed in the hops so I could hit my target volumes and IBUs.

…The beer was given an ice bath, and when it was cooled to about 70ºF I grabbed a gravity reading of 17ºP. I filter the wort through a nylon bag catching all the hops and trub debris, and then pitched my 1 liter starter. One final gravity reading came out to be ~16.2ºP, 79% efficiency on the day. 

I popped in my new thermowell, and carried the beer to the fermenter, where it will ferment at 55ºF. 

IMG_1614IMG_1615

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s