Bloom IPA Clone Attempt

Parish Bloom IPA. I loved this beer. I remember it as very juicy, soft, and floral. But I haven’t had or seen this beer since last March, almost a year. Looking at Parish’s website, they say it’s “A juicy, soft, hazy IPA absolutely loaded with Simcoe and Nugget hops.” So I’m going to try just those two hops paired together.

(scroll all the way down for brew day also)

IMG_1029

http://www.parishbeer.com/parish-beer-1/bloom-ipa

Information

Method

Style Boil Size Batch Size Efficiency
BIAB NEIPA 3 gal 2.25 gal    (kettle)

70% Target

Stats

Target OG

Target FG

Target ABV (alt)

Target IBU (tinseth)

15.3º P

4.9º P

5.86%

180.66

Fermentables

3.0 lbs Rahr Pale 2-row
1.0 lb Golden Naked Oats
1.0 lb Flaked Wheat
6 oz Lactose (Preboil addition)

Hop Schedule

1 oz Simcoe (13.6%AA) Boil 15 min 58.86 IBUs
1 oz Nugget (15.1% AA) Boil 5 min 26.26 IBUs
1 oz Simcoe (13.6%AA) WP @ 211ºF for 15 min 45.27 IBUs (10% Util.)
1 oz Nugget (15.1% AA) WP @ 211ºF for 15 min 50.27 IBUs (10% Util.)
1 oz Nugget (15.1%AA) Dry Hop for 3 days
1 oz Simcoe (13.6% AA) Dry Hop for 2 days

Yeast

Harvested WLP095 (Burlington). Expected 75% attenuation.

I decanted 1 mason jar, swirled to loosen, and pitched the yeast early Saturday evening into a 1 liter starter in anticipation of pitching on Sunday evening.

Water

I’m going to try the 1:1 Chloride:Sulfate ratio at 150 ppm, rather than my previous IPAs which have been at 200:75.

Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl SO4-2
Target 125 5 10 150 150
Actual 130.6 5.2 11.9 153.1 151.2

For 10 quarts of mash water, that’s:

3.1g Gypsum

0.7g Epspom

0.4g Sea Salt

3.7g Calcium Chloride

With no lactic acid additions, the Calcium Chloride and Gypsum additions I’m using are enough to get the mash pH calculated down to 5.33.

Bloom Clone Brew Day

Mashing

I weighed out my salts mentioned in the recipe above, tossed them into the brew kettle, and poured in 10 quarts of DI water…

IMG_1043

My target mash temperature will be 150ºF. Grains are currently at 77ºF, that equals a dough in temperature of 157ºF https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash/

IMG_1047

Once I got my strike water up to temperature, I killed the heat, slid the kettle off the burner, dumped in all the grains, stirred it all up for a bit, and set the mash timer for 90 minutes.

Sparging

These IPAs with a significant percentage of oats and flaked adjuncts lend to a really slimy and sticky grain bag. However, this grain bag with flaked wheat instead of flaked oats is not nearly as slimy as my usual grain bill.

Sparge took 40 minutes today… stirred up all my second runnings and added them back to the boil kettle and collected slightly more than 3 gallons of 12ºP wort.

IMG_1052 PRE BOIL

Boiling

Sparge runnings stirred up and added along with 6oz of lactose to the boil kettle to be boiled for 60 minutes.

@15 min remaining I poured in 1oz of Simcoe hops.

@5 min remaining I poured in 1oz of Nugget hops.

Ending kettle gravity: 16.8ºP

IMG_1062 ENDING KETTLE

Whirlpooling

After the 60 min boil, 1oz of Simcoe and 1oz of Nugget was added to the kettle and whirlpooled by hand for 15 min above 200ºF.

Fermenting

The beer was cooled and filtered going into the fermenter.

My 1 liter starter was pitched into the fermenter equaling about 2.5 gallons of wort. Refractometer reads: 15.6ºP

IMG_1064 BREWDAY COMPLETE

I sloshed it around while walking over to the chamber, and set it in the 68ºF environment where it’ll ferment for 7 days.

IMG_1076

Bottling

8 liter bottles were filled tonight (2.24.18).

IMG_1146

The beer finished at 1.022, as expected with the lactose addition.

IMG_1149

I poured the tube into a sample glass and took a good whiff. The aroma gives off really nice layers of tropical fruit. The flavor started out just like I thought, was really really good sweet layers of fruit, but quickly turned hoppy bitter astringent. Very astringent. I have two suspicions on why this turned out more bitter. The first is the Nugget hops, which are listed as bittering hops, but I’ve used hops in this style of beer with higher Alpha Acids, so I’m not totally convinced that’s the issue. My second suspicion is the water profile. This was the first time that I went with the 150:150 Chloride:Sulfate ratio. It certainly could be the elevated sulfate levels contributing to the bitterness, especially considering my aggressive hop schedule with equal boil and equal whirlpool additions.

IMG_1150

One thought on “Bloom IPA Clone Attempt

  1. Pingback: Bloom Clone 3.12.18 | OllieKodz Homebrew

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s