I saw a recipe on Reddit that used Pea Blossoms to make a “Purple Haze” IPA, which sounded fun, so I bought some pea blossoms. Here’s a link to that Reddit user’s recipe: https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/7snmwo/had_fun_brewing_my_purple_haze_novelty_neipa/
Researching Pea Blossoms, they turn different colors at different acidities. Their main color is blue, and the beer should stay blue being around regular ale acidity as it drops during fermentation. As the acidity drops even further the color will turn purple, and eventually bright pink the more acidic it gets. I’m hoping mine stays a vibrant blue color.
Later that week I saw Yakima was selling experimental Stone Fruit Hops, sounded good, so I bought some along with some Mosaic to pair it with. I went into Brewer’s Friend and created the following recipe.
|Method||Style||Boil Size||Batch Size||Efficiency|
|BIAB||NEIPA||3 gal||2.25 gal (kettle)||70% Target|
Target ABV (alt)
Target IBU (tinseth)
16.8º P (1.0689 SG)
5.8º P (1.0229 SG)
|3.0 lbs||Rahr Pale 2-row|
|1.0 lb||Golden Naked Oats|
|1.0 lb||Flaked Oats|
|8 oz||Lactose (Preboil addition)|
|4 oz||DME Pilsen (Preboil addition)|
|1 oz||EXP Stone Fruit (17%AA)||Boil 15 min||74.66 IBUs|
|1 oz||Mosaic (11% AA)||Boil 5 min||19.41 IBUs|
|1 oz||EXP Stone Fruit (17%AA)||WP @ 211ºF for 15 min||56.59 IBUs
|1 oz||Mosaic (11% AA)||WP @ 211ºF for 15 min||36.62 IBUs (10% Util.)|
|1 oz||EXP Stone Fruit (17%AA)||Dry Hop for 4 days|
|1 oz||Mosaic (11% AA)||Dry Hop for 3 days|
|1 oz||EXP Stone Fruit (17%AA)||Dry Hop for 2 days|
WLP095 (Burlington), which I’ve been told is the Conan strain. I ferment this strain at 68ºF and get to attenuate at about 75%.
I’ve been harvesting this strain from some other IPAs of mine. I keep them in mason jars, and build them up every once in a while so they don’t die of starvation. If I leave them in the jars for too long, the liquid in there goes from a bright yellow to a dull brown.
I made a 1 liter starter from a fresh jar Wednesday morning and put it on the stir plate. It finished fermenting by Thursday morning with noticeable signs of fermentation gunk stuck on the flask. Pitching my 1 liter starter will get my batch size up to 2.5 gallons.
Doing some research on NEIPA water profiles, I’ve gotten a lot of information. The owner of the local home-brew shop swears by adding small amounts of magnesium and sodium to soften the water just a bit. I’ve taken his advice. The debate comes in on Chloride:Sulfate ratios, and he thinks 1:1 at about 150ppm. I’ve read a lot of brewers like to go at 2:1 or even 3:1 Chloride:Sulfate… Scott Janish has some great write-ups on what affects water and mouthfeel, and some of those write-ups plus his comments on reddit have pointed me to the following water profile.
(I always target 0 HCO for my IPA water)
For 10 quarts of DI mash water, that’s:
0.4g Sea Salt (no iodine)
5.1g Calcium Chloride
With no acid additions, the Calcium Chloride and Gypsum additions I’m using are enough to get the mash pH calculated down to 5.34.
Freshly cut vanilla pods. I’m going to use either 1 or 2 sliced pods in the secondary.
Pea Blossoms. I’m going to add just .3oz in the whirlpool to color the wort. And if it isn’t blue enough for me, then I’ll probably add more in the secondary.
…brewing has taken place, will post another entry on that brew day.